We are pleased to introduce a new Avellana product!
Well, that’s interesting, you might think. But there are lots of vegan cultures available for purchase. What’s different about this one?
At Avellana, we strive toward utilizing the best product for the job at hand. In vegan cheese making, the culture is incredibly important. Avellana vegan cultures are different from the other vegan cultures available online in a few very important ways.
- Look at how cute this scoop is! Our culture is so potent, you only need about 15 grains to culture an entire quart of milk, therefore, you get this adorable scoop.
- Our cultures do not contain any thickeners or preservatives. Most commercially produced vegan cultures contain fructo-oligosaccharides such as maltodextrin.
- Our cultures do not contain soy or gluten. Many commercially produced vegan cultures are fermented on barley or soy, which can impart trace amounts to the final product.
- Because of the super high potency of our product, just a tiny bit does a massive amount of work, making it incredibly cost effective. Other brands of culture require more than 10x the product to do the same job. With our pricing, you can culture a quart of yogurt for 12-15 cents! Plus, using our extra strength culture saves time, energy, and space.
- The strength of Avellana cultures reduces the amount of work that can be required for some other yogurt recipes. You don’t need to heat up the milk to a certain temperature, just put the culture in and ferment it. No mess, no fuss.
- Because this product is dry, it will remain viable in the refrigerator for a VERY long time, potentially years (this product has been tested as being viable for two years without refrigeration [NOT recommended for optimum use]).
- You will get the same results, every time. We used to use commercially produced yogurts as starters, but some would have very little results (likely because the probiotic activity was low) and contained undesirable ingredients like sugar, thickeners, and preservatives.
With 150 billion culture forming units per gram, this is a super vibrant fermentation mix. Unlike many other cultures, this product is completely free of dairy, sugar, gluten, soy, casein, yeast, artificial flavoring, artificial coloring, preservatives or genetically modified ingredients. Other brands of culture can also fizzle in strength over time. Avellana cultures retain their effectiveness like few other products on the market. To retain maximum effectiveness, keep the culture sealed and refrigerated.
If you want the best results, you need to start with the best ingredients, and the culture you use is foundational to success.
- Lactobacillus bulgaricus
- Streptococcus thermophilus
- Lactobacilus acidophilus
- Lactobacilus lactis
- Bifidobacterium lactis
Directions: Add a tiny pinch (one blue scoop or .01-.02 gram) of culture to one quart of milk of your choice. You will think it can’t be enough, but it is! Stir and ferment at around 100 degrees for 8-10 hours or until milk thickens into yogurt. The two gram package pictured above will make 100 quarts of final product if directions are followed.
Some non-dairy milks will thicken better than others because of the nature of their proteins. Some may separate into curd and “whey.” You can still eat the yogurt if it separates. Some recipes will require removal of the extra liquid.
Test your fermentation station before you get started! It’s important that you have a strong enough and consistent enough heat source to culture your dairy free milks. Get a thermometer gauge (available online or at any hardware store) and test your station to be sure you can keep your temperature consistent.
Avellana Vegan Cultures
A super potent culturing mix for making dairy free yogurts and cheeses. (Cost includes shipping.)