Prepare yourself for this decadent (yet shockingly healthy) vegan feast!! Following, you will find detailed plans (and shortcuts) to making this crazy good, super healthy, gem of a lasagna.
What you need:
- 3-4 zucchini
- 16-32 oz tofu (from scratch or store bought)
- 2.5 C of fermented soy ricotta (link here)
- One jar tomato sauce
- 8 oz chopped mushrooms
- One bunch broccoli
- One small head cauliflower
- Kalamata olives
- Soy yogurt
- Italian herb mix
1. Cook up some tofu crumbles. (Link here)
2. Cut the zucchini into thin strips. You can use a mandolin but I’m not capable of using them without cutting off the end of my finger. Plus this part is VERY satisfying i me. Meditative even.
3. Toss down a layer of sauce (not much, maybe 1/2 c) and a layer of zuk noodles.
4. Rough chop the cauliflower and layer it, then put another layer of zuk noodles.
5. Mix two cloves of squished or minced garlic (or garlic powder in a pinch) and 1/2 t salt into the ricotta.
6. Layer the ricotta on. Don’t make it too thick, it’s meant to be an accent to the veggies.
7. Rough chop the broccoli and layer it.
8. Add mushrooms and kalamata. Put another 1/2 cup of sauce on top of this layer.
9. Layer on tofu crumbles.
10. Put another layer of zucchini, then the remaining sauce.
11. Mix Italian herbs and salt and more squished garlic or garlic powder and onion to taste into soy yogurt. You can also add nutritional yeast and a little vegan maya here if you like. Put this on top of the sauce.
12. Cook at 375 until you hear it bubbling (around 30 minutes) then take the lid off and cook for another 5-7 to brown up the cheesy layer on top.
Once this is done cooking it will have a good amount of liquid that cooked off the veggies. You can leave it in or CAREFULLY pour it off. I usually pour it off and drink it because it’s delicious. This meal depends heavily on the mixing of the flavors of all the vegetables. I found that the cheese in a non vegan lasagna was really the dominant flavor. This is a super complex and delicately flavored meal. You won’t miss the dairy!